This is by far one of my favourite warm breakfast recipes! It is sooo delicious. This recipe is also perfect for anybody with allergens as it is dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and vegan! I know, I know, it’s exciting! I am pretty sure that you will love this Creamy Millet Porridge with Roasted Figs, just as much as I do.
When I created this recipe, figs and nectarines were both still in season, here in Madrid. And so, I decided to combine them both. What a delightful surprise! They are the perfect combination for this recipe!! Of course, feel free to use whatever fruits you like that are in season (apples + pears would do wonderfully too); or skip the fruits all together. This porridge remains delicious, even when plain and on its own ;).
Here is what you will need for this:
Creamy Millet Porridge with Roasted Figs
- 1 cup of millet, ground roughly to form a flour (use a blender or coffee grinder)
- 1+1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk (or other milk of choice) + extra for topping
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground cardamom
- Optional: some vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp of your choice of sweetener (maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey or you can do without too)
- Toppings: 2 to 4 figs, roasted and 1 nectarine (chopped) and roasted too, your favourite granola or nuts.
- Place the millet into a medium saucepan with the water, milk, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom. Bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 15-18 minutes, or until the millet tastes a little sweet (if it’s still undercooked, it will taste noticeably bland and starchy). You may need to add water as you go along; the ground millet is super absorbent.
- When the millet is ready, stir in your choice of sweetener or skip this step to keep this recipe sugar-free.
- Place your millet porridge into a bowl. Add a little bit of extra coconut milk, and then top the bowl with your toppings of choice. My toppings of choice for this recipe were: roasted figs and nectarines, my homemade chocolate granola (sugar-free too) and a little bit of coconut butter.
- Serve and enjoy!
What is your favourite warm breakfast bowl, guys?
Let me know in the comments section below which it is and how you enjoyed this recipe.
As always, stay vibrant.